Ethernet is a standard form of computer networking. And like any other type of networking, it also has different types of Ethernet switches that are used to manage traffic flow. One of the latest and most popular types of Ethernet is the gigabit Ethernet switch. As the name suggests, these switches can handle data transfer speeds of up to 1 GB/s. You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for a new Ethernet switch for your home or office network. In this article, we will be discussing the best gigabit Ethernet switches that you can buy in 2022.
Managed Gigabit Ethernet switches are more expensive than unmanaged switches, but they offer more features and flexibility. Managed switches allow administrators to configure the switch using a web browser or command-line interface. They also provide advanced features such as Quality of Service (QoS), VLANs (virtual LANs), and port mirroring.
Unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switches are less expensive than managed switches, but they offer fewer features. Unmanaged switches cannot be configured and do not provide advanced features such as QoS, VLANs, or port mirroring. However, they are still very fast and can be used in small LANs where these advanced features are not required.
The Benefits of Using a Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Gigabit Ethernet, also known as GbE or 1000Base-T, is a type of Ethernet technology that uses twisted pair cabling to support data transfer rates up to 1 Gbps. This Ethernet switch is commonly used in LANs and WANs and is the standard interface for many high-speed devices, such as routers, switches, and servers.
Some Essential features are:
- Increased Bandwidth: A Gigabit Ethernet switch can provide up to 10 times the bandwidth of a common Ethernet switch. IT can help increase bandwidth and transfer large files.
- Reduced Latency: its assists in reducing latency, which is the delay between when a packet is sent and received. This can be important for real-time communication applications like VoIP or video conferencing.
- Improved Reliability: They are also generally more reliable than Fast Ethernet switches due to their increased bandwidth and reduced latency. This can be important for mission-critical applications that cannot afford any downtime.
- Greater Flexibility: Many switches also offer additional features and ports that can be very helpful in certain situations. For example, some switches offer Power over Ethernet (PoE) capabilities, which can be used to power devices such as IP phones or wireless access points.
The Different Types of Gigabit Ethernet Switches
Ethernet switches have become faster and more reliable. Some well-known Types are discussed below.
The most common type of Gigabit Ethernet switch is the unmanaged switch. This is a simple and easy-to-use switch that does not require any configuration. It is ideal for small businesses or home users who do not need advanced features.
Another common type of Gigabit Ethernet switch is the managed switch. This type of switch provides more features and flexibility than an unmanaged switch. It is ideal for larger businesses or organizations that need more control over their network.
The last type of Gigabit Ethernet switch is the stackable switch. This switch allows you to connect multiple switches to create a single, extensive network. Stackable switches are ideal for businesses or organizations with many devices or users on their networks.
Top 5 Gigabit Ethernet Switches
This article will look at the top 5 Gigabit Ethernet switches and their features.
- Cisco SG500X-48P: This is a 48-port 10/100/1000Mbps switch with 4 SFP+ ports for 10GbE connectivity. It has a power consumption of only 130W and supports IPv6.
- Netgear Nighthawk S8000: This is an 8-port 10/100/1000Mbps switch with 2 SFP+ ports for 10GbE connectivity. It has a power consumption of only 35W and supports IPv6.
- D-Link DGS-1016D: This is a 16-port 10/100/1000Mbps switch with 2 SFP+ ports for 10GbE connectivity. It has a power consumption of only 53W and supports IPv6.
- TP-Link TL-SG5428: This switch has 28-port 10/100/1000Mbps with 4 SFP+ ports for 10GbE connectivity. It has a power consumption of only 90W and supports IPv6.
- ZyXEL XS1930-12HP: This is a 12-port 100/1000BaseT + 2 100/1000BaseX (SFP) HPoE+ Switch that comes with 4 1000
The best Gigabit Ethernet Switches
The best Gigabit Ethernet Switches are the ones that offer the best performance and features for your needs. There are many different types of Gigabit Ethernet Switches on the market, so below is the list of a few GES.
Cisco SG500-52P-K9-NA 52-Port Gigabit PoE+ Stackable Managed Switch
This switch is great for small businesses or home offices. It has 52 ports, which is enough for most networking needs. It also has PoE+ support so that you can use it to power devices like IP phones or cameras. The switch is easy to set up and manage and comes with a lifetime warranty.
NETGEAR Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
This specific switch is designed for gamers and streamers who need low latency and high speeds. It has 8 ports and supports up to 10 Gbps speeds. The switch also has a built-in gaming dashboard that lets you see your network traffic and performance metrics. The dashboard lets you optimize your network for gaming or streaming, and it also helps you troubleshoot any issues.
This article looks at the best Gigabit Ethernet switches for businesses and homes in 2022. We have also looked at the different types of it available so that you can make an informed decision about which one is right for you. If you need further help deciding which switch suits you, please don’t hesitate to contact us.