Infertility is an alarming health concern for thousands of couples in India. For couples who find it difficult to conceive naturally, assisted reproductive techniques (ART) are a boon. IUI treatment is a significant assisted reproductive technique with a high pregnancy success rate. In this procedure, doctors will choose the best quality sperm and place them into the uterus of the woman around the time her ovary releases eggs. Positively, the sperm and the egg will fertilize in the uterus and result in pregnancy.
Preparing for IUI treatment:
IUI treatment, though a simple procedure, involves a series of steps. The doctors will watch for the time of ovulation or will inject HCG hormone to stimulate the ovaries to produce more eggs at the ideal time. The male partner should provide the semen sample at the doctor’s sample. The doctors will segregate the healthy sperm from the lower-quality ones and will choose to inject them through the cervix. The process of the procedure is as follows.
- The procedure is generally done in the doctor’s office, and the procedure itself takes only a few minutes.
- Doctors will make the women lie down on the examination table and use the speculum to open the vaginal cavity.
- The doctor will attach a vial that contains a sample of healthy sperm in a long, thin and flexible tube.
- They will place the catheter in the vagina, through the cervix inseminate the collected sperm into the uterus.
- Then, the catheter is removed, followed by the speculum.
What are false-negative and false-positive results in IUI?
After the procedure, there are two possible outcomes. A false negative is when the person finds no sign of pregnancy when the woman is pregnant. In false positive, the home pregnancy test will detect a sign of pregnancy when the woman is not pregnant. It might be because of the fertility medicines in the system as well.
What to expect after the procedure:
After the IUI treatment, the doctors will ask the woman to lie on their back for a brief time. After the procedure is over, they can carry on with their daily routine. The woman might suffer light spotting for a day or two after the IUI procedure. This fertility treatment has a high success rate, and it depends on the age, health concerns and timing of the procedure. Doctors also recommend what to eat after IUI for better outcomes of the procedure. They also ask the women to be on bed rest for a few days until fertilization and implantation take place.
What to eat after IUI?
The best food after IUI is green leafy vegetables such as collard greens, kale, cabbage and lettuce. Doctors also recommend eating sunflower seeds, which are rich in vitamin E. They are rich in selenium, folate and omega-6 fatty acids. They should also eat citrus fruits like oranges and can also intake cheese like cheddar and parmesan. After the IUI procedure, you can also eat tomatoes, full-fat dairy, asparagus, lentils, beans, egg yolks, walnuts and cinnamon.
Apart from recommending what to eat after IUI, doctors also recommend what not to eat after the IUI procedure.
- Red and processed meats – they add a negative effect on the reproductive health
- Processed carbohydrates – foods rich in processed carbs can impact fertility adversely.
- Baked food items – women undergoing IUI treatment should avoid consuming baked goods after the procedure, as they are rich in saturated and trans fat.
- Beverages – beverages like cola and soft drinks are rich in artificial sugar and can impact the development of an embryo.
Fertility treatment does not stop after completing the procedure. To ensure the success of the procedure, it is important to take care of diet as well. Foods that a woman consumes after IUI treatment play a significant role in safe and healthy conception. If you are planning for IUI treatment connect to your fertility expert for further details and better understanding.