The smartphone is the most demanded and frequently changed gadget. The main reasons for the purchase are the obsolescence of the model, breakdown as a result of careless use, the desire to emphasize the status with the help of an expensive device. Even an experienced user can get confused in the variety of offered models and functions, and therefore we will discuss the main points that are worth paying attention to.
Surprisingly, the first criterion for choosing a smartphone will not be the size, processor or number of cameras, but the operating system. Huawei p40 comes out to have a great balanced operating system in comparison to its successor.
Google’s Android is the world’s most widely used OS. Its advantages lie in the abundance of free software, the possibility of deep customization and a variety of models for every taste and wallet. Two main drawbacks follow from the advantages – software optimization and support for obsolete models by the manufacturer are lame.
Apple’s iOS is Android’s primary (and only) rival. Undeniable advantages – high software optimization, access to the exclusive Apple ecosystem, support for smartphones for several years after release. The disadvantages are closed audio and video formats, complex loading of multimedia on the device (it will not work quickly to upload a couple of movies or a dozen songs to the iPhone).
The choice between iOS and Android in the vast majority of cases is extremely subjective and depends solely on the personal preferences of the user.
Diagonal and resolution
There is no ideal smartphone size – it is determined by the needs of the owner and the intended use cases. The diagonal of a typical smartphone today starts at 6 inches. The inconveniences associated with the large size are more than offset by the capabilities of the device: playing, searching the Internet, watching videos and even working on such devices is much more convenient and enjoyable. For connoisseurs of small smartphones, there are several budget models up to 5 inches and, of course, Apple iPhone SE 2020. They can be operated even with one hand.
Screen manufacturing technology
Smartphones come with three types of displays: TN, IPS and OLED.
- TN – remained the lot of the most budgetary devices. It has poor picture quality and poor viewing angles.
- IPS is the most common type of display today. Provides good colors and viewing angles. It is inferior to OLED technology in energy efficiency, contrast and black display.
- OLED is an organic diode matrix. Gives a juicy picture and perfect black due to infinite contrast, and the technology got rid of the problem of acid colors and burnout long ago. Always On Display eliminates the need to unlock your smartphone to view the date, clock, battery level and notifications – the screen displays the information you need in real time. The energy consumption is minimal.
Screen refresh rate
The latest trend has come from the PC gaming world. By rapidly increasing the refresh rate, manufacturers have reached 144 Hz. First of all, this parameter affects the smoothness of the interface rendering and the playback of moving content.
In pursuit of a bezel-less design, manufacturers are trying to fill the entire front of the smartphone with a display. This raises the problem of the location of the front camera and the need for a cutout for it. There is heated debate about the beauty and functionality of this or that option.
Most often, modern smartphones flaunt three types of cutouts:
- U-shaped – has the shape of a small semi-oval,
- O-shaped – is a full-fledged hole in the screen,
- “Monobrow”, or “bangs” – a long trapezoidal cut with a set of sensors. This option is gradually going out of fashion and remained only with Apple and a couple of smartphones with 3D face unlock.
Ceramics , glass , leather , wood, metal – all of this can be used to decorate a smartphone. Protected devices are often constructed of steel and rubber . However, usually the case is limited to plastic , which has a number of indisputable advantages – strength, lightness, durability, low cost. To offer the plastic case a more pretty look, manufacturers use bright colors, gradient transitions, a mixture of glossy and matte surfaces.
Few people will have to choose a smartphone based on this very criterion. However, fans of exclusive solutions can pay attention to some impressive options with an equally impressive price.
Processor and video adapter
In modern smartphones, the number of cores and the clock speed of the processor is not a measure of performance. Optimization, architecture and process technology are much more important.
The system on a chip always includes a graphics accelerator, which is responsible for displaying and processing the image. As a rule, a powerful processor is equipped with a powerful video chip.
- Snapdragon are processors from Qualcomm, which is a well-known SoC manufacturer for flagship Android smartphones. Uses the most efficient Adreno graphics video adapter. Every year these processors are installed in millions of devices around the world. Due to the manufacturer’s close cooperation with ARM, Snapdragon is considered the best option for gaming.
- Helio – chips from Taiwanese MediaTek. They use graphics accelerators PowerVR and Mali. The Helio A line contains the most budgetary solutions, Helio P – mid-range processors, Helio X – the most productive chips, Helio G are designed for smartphones with a gaming bias. Contrary to popular belief, the top-end Helio is almost as good as its more eminent competitors in performance.
- Dimensity – MediaTek chipsets for flagship smartphones with built-in 5G modem.
- Exynos – processors from Samsung, designed for their own smartphones. Recently they have been working with Mali graphics adapters.
- Kirin is an exclusive platform for Huawei and Honor smartphones. HI Silicon processors are known for their advanced AI blocks and outperform the competition in many ways. Use Mali .
- Apple AX is a series of processors found only in the products of the Cupertino-based company. Previously used PowerVR graphics, but starting with the Apple A11 Bionic, they come with their own graphics cores. They are considered to be the most powerful ARM processors for smartphones.