A Guide to Write Funny Menu Items That Sell More Food!
Have you already finalized your restaurant space, interior designs, and marketing plans but baffling to craft a perfect menu? No worries, we are here to help you create a detailed menu, including weird or funny menu items!
Whether it is the design, the number of pages, the concept, or the item description, a menu is a tricky game to play. That is why you should be mindful of crafting a perfect restaurant menu that can communicate your passion for food to your customers and persuade them to try your culinary offerings repeatedly.
Read till the end to learn the key points to bear in mind while developing a restaurant menu, the ways to make food descriptions appetizing, and the mistakes to avoid while writing food descriptions.
Steps To Craft a Perfect Restaurant Menu
- Develop a Concept: This is the first and most important step to creating a restaurant menu. Developing a menu concept refers to deciding on specific menu items, the number of menu items, as well as identifying target customers, and overall menu layout.
- List Core Ingredients: Once you have finalized your restaurant menu items, list the core ingredients you will need to prepare each dish. In addition, ensure to research if the ingredients are easily accessible, whether will they be available throughout the year or only in a specific season, and will they vary in price during the year.
- Taste Adjustments: Regardless of whether you have decided on simple, seasonal, or funny menu items, it is crucial to taste the dishes before serving. You may invite some friends, relatives, or staff members to taste the dishes and provide their feedback on them. It is a perfect way to get opinions apart from your own and make taste adjustments (if needed).
- Pricing: Setting prices for each menu item can be a tricky job. That is mainly because the pricing tolerance of your customers will completely depend on your restaurant location, menu concept, and targeted clientele. It is always better to do market research before pricing any menu item.
- Create Sections: A well-organized restaurant menu is one that has logical sections like appetizers, main courses, drinks, beverages, desserts, and the like. Basically, keeping the section titles simple and straightforward makes it easier for customers to find what they want.
These are some of the important steps to craft a perfect restaurant menu. Other considerable factors associated with creating a restaurant menu include choosing the right colors and fonts, setting a perfect design, and offering special menus during holidays and festivals.
Ways To Make Food Descriptions Appetizing
Did you know menu item descriptions trigger 45% of the buying decision for a dish? Notable studies report that the words used to describe a menu item greatly influences a customer’s decision to order the item. So, if you want to write a restaurant menu that sells more food, here are some powerful strategies to use:
#1. Use Attractive Menu Name
Using attractive, simple, and self-explanatory menu names is the best way to accelerate customers’ attention toward the dish. However, if you crave to use weird or funny menu items then make sure to enlist the ingredients or an enticing description along with it.
#2. Use Geographic Origin
Adding a location or geographic origin to any of your restaurant menu items or ingredient is a great idea to make the dish sound expensive and of premium quality. If you have ever played cooking, restaurant management, or farming games, you must have surely come across dishes that have origin names added to them. That has mainly done to make the menu item more intriguing!
#3. Add a Fascinating Backstory
Identify those recipes in your restaurant menu item list which have a fascinating history, have been passed down from one generation to the next, or have come down from faraway places. Keep at least 3 such dishes on your menu list to draw more people to your restaurant.
Mistakes To Avoid While Writing Food Descriptions
You must have already learned by now, writing a restaurant menu or food description that sells more food is not easy. But little practice and adequate market research can help you boost your profits!
Here are some mistakes to avoid while writing food descriptions:
- Avoid Complicated Words: Clients from all walks of life might be visiting your restaurant, so, ensure to write menu item descriptions that can be read by all.
- Keep Negative Words Away: Avoid writing menu item descriptions that include negative-sounding words. The best way to do that is by replacing those words with appetizing synonyms.
- Cut The Menu Short: Although people love having expansive choices to choose from, too many items in the menu list can puzzle your customers. So, try to keep your restaurant menu short enough to let your customers decide their choice in seconds.
Hopefully, this blog helped you learn how to create a restaurant menu, the ways to make food descriptions appetizing, and the mistakes to avoid while writing food descriptions. An interesting way to learn more about it is by playing restaurant simulation, cooking, or farming games!