If you have lived in your current home for some time, chances are you may have experienced a clogged drain at one time or another. Drain repair resolves these issues, of course. But it’s significant to recognize the signs of a blocked drain before the problem gets out of hand. As well, knowing the causes of clogged drains can help prevent any issues from occurring in the first place.
In this article, we will focus on the most common signs of clogged drains. As well, we will point out the usual suspects that can lead to blocked drains. If not resolved, a clogged drain can cause serious damage to your home drainage system. In this event, you should contact a professional plumber for drain repair.
Following are warning signs that you may be in need of drain repair Toronto.
- You notice a gurgling or bubbling sound from your toilet or sinks.
- Your toilet is not flushing properly, or worse, overflows.
- Water is slow to drain from sinks, toilets, showers, and so forth.
- Flooding or pooling water in the basement, kitchen, or bathroom.
- Signs of water damage on ceilings or floors.
- Water spots near the toilet
The above signs are quite obvious. However, there are other telltale signs that you may have drainage or sewage issues.
- Noticeable spots on your landscaping
If you are noticing sudden changes to your lawn, garden, or other landscaping, it could be an indication that there is an issue with your sewage system. If the external piping is not functioning as it should, the pipeline will wreak havoc with your lawn. As well, if left unattended, your piping could become so severely clogged that the wastewater will back up to your home, possibly leading to busted pipes and other issues.
Additionally, if you notice foul odors, pooling water, or random lush spots on your lawn, it might be time for drain repair.
- Apparent changes in the water pressure in your home: Changes in the flow of water or water pressure can indicate that the piping is broken, clogged, cracked, or otherwise in need of drain repair. Most people tend to notice water pressure changes in the shower, but even a slight change in the water pressure in your kitchen or bathroom sink can be a warning sign that there is an issue with water flow. Once you notice an issue with water pressure that isn’t easily fixed, you should reach out to a plumber to check for blockages, etc.
- Ongoing issues with debris leaking out of fixtures in your bathroom, kitchen, or laundry area: Another indication that there may be an issue with your water pressure is spotting grime of gunk coming out of the tap of your water fixtures when you first turn it on. This can be caused by issues with drainage or waste disposal. As well, if hazardous materials are flushed via the garbage disposal or drain, it can lead to major blockages. Contact your local plumber if you have recurring issues with debris coming out of the water fixtures in your home.
- The drastic increase in water bills: If there is a sudden unexplained spike in your water usage, it could be a sign that there is an issue with your drain system. Drain repair will be needed to resolve this issue and reduce your water bills.
There are many reasons why your drain could be in need of drain repair. Pinpointing the cause and consciously working to avoid those factors that cause blockage can save you a great deal of aggravation and money in the long run. Following are some of the things that can cause drain clogs in the home:
- Baby wipes, bathroom wipes, etc
- Paper towels, tissues, and other paper products
- Feminine hygiene products (pads, pantyliner, etc.)
- Soap, detergent, household cleaners (only use those cleaners that are eco-friendly and specifically designed for cleaning toilets, sinks, etc.)
- Excessive hair build-up (Clean the drain daily to remove hair)
- Food particles such as eggshells, fruit and vegetable skins/seeds, etc.)
- Children or pets’ toys or other “foreign objects’ ‘that don’t belong in sinks, toilets, or garbage disposals.
Now you should be able to identify both the causes of clogs and the warning signs that there is an issue with your drain system. If you are having any issues with leaks, clogs, and so on, contact your plumber for drain repair straight away to resolve the issue and prevent further damage.