7 Ways to Make Sure Kids’ Toys Are Safe

Toys help kids grow and learn in a fun way. However, they may also include some hazards. Most modern toys online are labeled according to age ranges, but supervising play is the single most crucial step a parent can take.

How to Make Sure Children’s Toys Are Safe

You should always know the tips for buying toys and check the age recommendations on the toy’s label to be sure it’s appropriate for your children. Here are some measures you can take to ensure your child’s toy is safe.

1. Be careful with the toy’s pointy edges

Young children should not play with toys intended for older children since such toys may contain tiny parts or dangerous edges. Keep away from toys that are constructed of flimsy plastic. Young children should not be given toys that have metal pieces.

2. It would be best if you avoided magnetized toys

If your kid consumes a magnet and it sticks to another magnet within their body, it might be dangerous. Magnets in toys are dangerous to young children and should be kept out of their reach. Remember to remind older kids who play with toys that include magnets that they should not place anything magnetic inside their mouths.

3. Toys that shoot things should be avoided

Toys that can shoot out objects that aren’t intended to go through the toy’s firing mechanism, such as pencils or nails, should be avoided. This can pose a significant threat to a child’s eyes. Children should only use arrows with rubber or cork tips. If you let your kid play with toys that fire projectiles, ensure they wear protective eyewear.

4. It would help if you avoided toys with lengthy wires

Young children and babies should not play with toys with cables or strings longer than six inches. Do not use a crib or playroom to store or display toys that include strings, wires, and laces. Take away the crib gym when your kids can lift themselves on both hands and knees.

5. Toys that need batteries should be avoided for toddlers

Toys that use batteries should have safe, locked battery compartments that kids can’t access. When swallowed, a pushbutton battery may cause toxic damage in as little as two hours, which is why parents should never let their children play with them.

6. You should check the toy’s size to ensure your kids won’t ingest it

All toys’ components should be sufficient not to be ingested or trapped in the airway. Toys with little pieces (anything that might fit within the tube of a standard toilet paper roll) are unsuitable for children under three.

7. Loud toys should be avoided

Toys may cause permanent hearing loss if used too close to the ear canal; some are too loud.  There must be a re-evaluation of the criteria used to quantify the volume of loud toys and stricter regulations to protect children’s hearing.


Children under three should not be given toys that are dangerous for them. Even some science sets need adult supervision. The warnings in the instructions are meant to alert you to potential dangers and how to mitigate them. Make sure you’re checking the toys you’re giving your kids.