Weaknesses of the network which is intrinsic in every network and its device which included routers, switches, servers, desktops and even security devices e.g. firewall etc. Usually, the endpoints are under attack, such as servers and desktop computers.
Defending the privacy of information, securing from unauthorized access and shielding the network against attacks is the primary issue of network security professionals today. There are three primary vulnerabilities of the network. Which lead to various attacks on the network, including malicious code attacks and network attacks.
HTTP, ICMP, and FTP are insecure. SMTP and SNMP are related to the insecure structure upon which TCP was designed. The operating system UNIX, Linux Mac OS, Mac OSX, Window has the security problem. The network administrator must consider these problems.
There is various type of network equipment, such as switches, routers, and firewalls. These all have security weaknesses including password protection, lack of authentication, protocols and firewall weakness that must be acknowledged and protected.
The vulnerabilities of configuration are the following:-
- Transmission of user account information over the insecure network, which exposing username and passwords.
- Password and Username which is easily figuring out is another common vulnerability. The system account password must contain an uppercase letter, lowercase letter, figures, and signs.
- The difficult setting of devices enables security holes.
- Misconfiguration of the equipment is also a big security problem.
The vulnerabilities of security policy are the following:-
- The security policy must be available in written form.
- Default password and poorly chosen password like a dictionary word can easily allow hackers unauthorized access to the network.
- Unauthorized changes to the hardware and software which not meet the policy can create security risks