Liquid membrane roofing systems have many benefits. One of the most important is that they are air tight, providing insulation and protection from UV rays. They also provide increased energy efficiency by utilizing liquid membrane technology to seal gaps in roofs where heat can escape through convection currents. Liquid membranes also typically offer a longer lifespan than other materials like asphalt or tar paper and are cost effective for business owners and their commercial property!
What is a Liquid Membrane Roofing System Liquid membrane roofing systems are a type of roofing system that utilizes a liquid membrane to waterproof and protect the roof. This type of system is often used on flat or low-pitched roofs and is a popular choice for commercial and industrial buildings.
The liquid membrane roofing system consists of four main components: the primer, the adhesive, the membrane, and the sealant. The primer is applied to the roof surface to create a bond between the roof and the adhesive. The adhesive is then applied to the primed surface, followed by the membrane. The sealant is used to seal any seams or edges in the membrane.
The most common type of liquid membrane system is built on top of an asphalt sheet-roof base and typically comes in one-gallon kits to be applied by brush or spray tank. These kits come complete with all the components necessary for the roofer to apply a protective layer over sound fiberglass insulation, existing shingles or any open joint metal sheeting such as corrugated panels, etc. The liquid membrane system comes in many types, including one-part which is mixed together up to five-parts, or more depending on the manufacturer or your specifications; two-part; and 100% solids (no solvent).
The liquid membrane roofing system is waterproof with a lifespan of 10 to 20 years. It can be applied over most substrates that are properly cleaned before application. However, the material must be applied when it’s between 40°F and 90°F with low humidity so it won’t dry out too fast. Applying in direct sunlight causes the product to cure too quickly and could cause problems during application.
- The Benefits of using a Liquid Membrane Roofing System There are many benefits to using a liquid membrane roofing system. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Durability: Liquid membrane roofing systems are extremely durable and can last for many years with proper care.
- Ease of Installation: This type of system is relatively easy to install, which can save you time and money.
- Versatility: Liquid membrane roofing systems can be used on both flat and low-pitched roofs, making them a versatile choice for many applications.
- Cost-effective: liquid membrane roofing systems are often more cost-effective than other types of roofing systems.
- How to get started with installing a Liquid Membrane Roofing System If you are interested in installing a liquid membrane roofing system on your building, there are a few things you need to know before getting started. First, you will need to select the right primer, adhesive, membrane, and sealant for your specific application. You will also need to make sure the roof surface is properly primed and prepared before installation.
- Once you have selected the right products for your project, installation is relatively easy. The adhesive is applied to the primed roof surface, followed by the membrane. The sealant is then used to seal any seams or edges in the membrane.
- Liquid membrane roofing systems are extremely durable and can last for many years with proper care.