It is safe to assume that 2020 is the craziest year of the 21st century, to date. Countries were forced to implement lockdowns, people were not allowed to go out and socialise, and businesses were closed down. We cannot deny how it truly changed the state of the global economy to a downward spiral, which includes the fluctuations of energy prices.
Fast forward to 2021, an entire year since COVID-19 took over the world, businesses start to open up again. However, business energy prices are still not stable. Now, you may be wondering, how should I fix my energy prices until 2022? The best way to do this is to initiate reductions in energy consumption in the workplace. If you need some tips, here the best practices for businesses to promote energy efficiency and eventually save money from reduced energy costs.
Best practices for business to reduce energy costs
- Replace outdated appliances and devices with energy-efficient models. You can start with energy-efficient light bulbs, then with your refrigerators and air conditioners.
- Maximise natural lighting. To avoid ever turning on your lights, take advantage of your windows and doors, and let the light in by putting up thin curtains and sticking with bright office aesthetics.
- Unplug electronics when not in use. Do not forget to turn off your computers and televisions. Unplugging them would make a difference since it avoids consuming standby power.
- Make sure all utility systems are working properly. Repair water systems and electricity and gas connections to avoid any leakage that would increase consumption.
- Avoid overcharging your gadgets. Once your smartphones and laptops are fully charged, unplug them immediately. Never leave your charging devices unattended for a long time.
- Implement energy-efficiency memos. Encourage energy efficiency in your company by making it a protocol that everyone has to follow. Start with the regulation in consuming water from the tap and the use of photocopying machines, etc.
Utility brokers can help reduce your energy costs.
If you want an easier and more convenient way to save more money from utility bills this 2021, consider hiring a utility broker. Utility brokers or energy consultants are trained to assist business owners in finding cheaper and more cost-effective deals and reliable suppliers. Just the choice of switching to a more affordable offer would already significantly reduce your costs.
Furthermore, utility brokers can provide utility billing services. They can help with bill consolidation, which would result in a more centralised financial management system, and bill validation, which is a service that counter check errors in your bills in case you feel like you are overpaying. Both of these services can help organise and better your company’s financial health involving your utility bills.
As we have experienced a global pandemic and survived a full year of social distancing and lockdowns, we try to reflect on how these phenomena have changed different sectors of the world and aspects of our lives. These are indeed the things we truly cannot control and we do not have a choice but to follow protocols. However, we should not see this as a threat as but an opportunity to start making better decisions for ourselves and our businesses. This should serve as a wake-up call to all of us.