Helpful Tips on How to Choose the Right Contact Lenses
With contact lenses, you can have better vision without wearing glasses. Contact lenses are a popular alternative to glasses and offer many benefits. However, before you purchase contact lenses, there are a few things you need to keep in mind to choose the right ones for your needs. Should you go for daily, weekly, or monthly contact lenses?
It depends on your lifestyle and how often you are willing to clean your lenses. If you are comfortable cleaning your lenses every day, then daily lenses would be a good option. However, if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of cleaning your lenses daily, you might want to consider weekly or monthly lenses. Read more at https://www.contactlenses.co.uk/education/what-are-the-best-daily-contact-lenses.
Here are a few tips on how to choose the right contact lenses:
Evaluating Soft Contact Lenses
There are many types of soft lenses available on the market today. The three most common types are colored soft lenses, extended wear, and silicon-based.
- Colored soft lenses – as the name suggests, these lenses come in various colors. They are typically used for cosmetic purposes to change the color of your eyes.
- Extended wear – these lenses can be worn for up to 30 days, and they are made from a type of material that allows more oxygen to pass through to your eyes.
- Silicon-based – these lenses are made from a type of silicone that helps to keep your eyes moist and comfortable.
When choosing soft lenses, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Material – the material of the lens will determine how comfortable it is to wear and how long you can wear it.
- Oxygen permeability – this is an important factor to consider if you have sensitive eyes, as it will determine how much oxygen can pass through the lens to your eye.
- Water content – this will determine how moist the lens is and how comfortable it will be to wear.
- Size – the size of the lens will determine how visible it is in your eye.
Considering Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP) Contact Lenses
Rigid gas-permeable (GP) lenses are made from a material that allows oxygen to pass through to your eyes. They are typically used for people with astigmatism or who have had previous refractive surgery. Here are the following benefits of RGP lenses:
- They provide sharper vision than soft lenses.
- They are less likely to cause irritation and dryness.
- They allow more oxygen to pass through to your eyes.
- You can wear them for a longer period than soft lenses.
Assessing Your Needs
An eye exam is required to get contact lenses. During the exam, your optometrist will assess your vision and determine the type of contacts that are best for you. They will also take into account any medical conditions that you have.
After your optometrist has assessed your needs, they will give you a prescription for contact lenses. Make sure to ask what type of lenses would be best for you and whether you should get daily, weekly, or monthly lenses.
Choosing the right contact lenses can be daunting, but it’s important to take the time to find the right ones for your needs. With so many different types of lenses available on the market, it’s important to consult an optometrist to determine which ones would be best for you. Be sure to ask about the material, oxygen permeability, water content, and lens size to ensure that you get the right ones for your needs.